If you’re a New Zealand citizen, staff at New Zealand embassies can help you in several ways if you get into difficulties overseas:
- provide advice re lost or stolen passports (external link) if you need to travel urgently
- help you contact family or friends to request emergency funds (external link)
- provide a list of English-speaking lawyers, and contact family and friends on your behalf, if you are detained or arrested (external link)
- provide advice on local medical facilities, help contact your family and or insurance provider if you are ill or injured (external link)
- help with arrangements following a death overseas (external link)
- in certain circumstances, provide notarial services such as witnessing affidavits, statutory declarations and other documents for use under New Zealand law
- account for New Zealanders who may have been affected by a major overseas crises, such as civil unrest and natural disasters.